From 1 October 2019, the Ministry of Health (MOH) will implement the Home Caregiving Grant (HCG) to provide more financial support for caregiving in the community.
The HCG replaces the existing Foreign Domestic Worker (FDW) Grant.
The grant will be a $200 monthly cash payout and beneficiaries will have more flexibility in using it to defray caregiving expenses such as hiring an FDW, home and community-based services, and transportation to medical appointments.
Seniors or their caregivers can start submitting applications for the HCG from 1 October 2019. Those who are already receiving the FDW Grant will be automatically enrolled onto the HCG, and need not apply.
The grant will be paid to eligible care recipients, who can also choose to nominate a caregiver to receive it.
To be eligible for the HCG, the care recipient must meet the following criteria:
- Always require some assistance with at least three activities of daily living;
- Means-tested to have per capita household monthly income that is S$2,800 or less, or belongs to a household with no income and living in a residence with an annual value that is S$13,000 or less;
- Is a Singapore Citizen, or a Singapore Permanent Resident with a parent, child or spouse who is a Singapore Citizen; and
- Not in a residential long-term care institution (e.g. nursing home).
*  The activities of daily living include eating, bathing, dressing, transferring, toileting and moving around.